[Tagging] How to tag a verge with e.g. a paved or compacted surface?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon May 3 10:14:19 UTC 2021

Clearly, different definitions are in use for shoulder. My question applies
equally to a shoulder as defined on  http://lgam.wikidot.com/road-shoulder

Verge (or shoulder) is tagged on the highway as verge=yes (or
shoulder=yes). Then how do you tag the surface of the verge or shoulder?

I don't think it is a good idea to tag something like verge:surface=* on
the highway. To tag such details, the verge (or shoulder)  should be a
separate feature, with its own main feature key.

So I guess area:highway=verge (or area:highway=shoulder) with surface=* is
the way to do it.

Peter Elderson