[Tagging] Tags for referencing GEOnet Names Server Import

Saeed Hubaishan سعيد حبيشان hubaishan at outlook.sa
Wed May 5 11:21:34 UTC 2021

Hi,

There is a guide in the wiki for importing from GEOnet Names Server
(GNS) at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GEOnet_Names_Server. And
this guide (in 2020 version) defines  three tags for importing from GNS
data:

GNS:id

GNS:dsg_code

GNS:dsg_string (I used GNS:dsg_name instead because it is clearer)

In the talk page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:GEOnet_Names_Server there are
more unnecessary suggested tags  for importing form GNS.

I used these tags in the wiki page for importing from GNS and I describe
them more in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GNS_Import_for_Yemen_and_Others#GNS:id.

There are some protests form users:

* Mateusz Konieczny  at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:GEOnet_Names_Server#What_is_the_point_of_dsg_string.3F
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Mateusz_Konieczny>

* Marc at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2021-May/006613.html
and my reply at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2021-May/006614.html

I want to share others to return with common view about these tags.

--
Saeed Hubiashan
https://github.com/hubaishan