[Tagging] Cyclist Leaning Rails - Was: Biker’s rests

Alex supaplex at riseup.net
Wed May 5 20:46:21 UTC 2021

Hey,

A few months ago, leaning rails for cyclists were mentioned on this
list, for which there is no common tagging yet.

Unfortunately, the discussion back then did not result in a concrete
tagging recommendation. After the first leaning rails were installed in
Berlin now, there was a discussion in the local community that resulted
in the tagging "amenity=cyclist_leaning_rail". We would prefer the value
"amenity" to others, especially "man_made", as we clearly see an amenity
in these items (similar to e.g. benches for pedestrians). Since "leaning
rail" is a non-specific term that could also refer to other forms of
street furniture (e.g. furniture in public transport waiting areas), but
these types of objects here are clearly only intended for cyclists, we
prefer the value prefixed with "cyclist".

According to our local discussion, I have created a draft for this
tagging and would like to return the result to this list and continue
the discussion from some month ago.

An open question in our discussion was whether it makes sense to place
these nodes on the (cycle)wayline or as an independent object. With
separately mapped cycleways this is surely not a problem, but if there
is only the street line (with e.g. cycleway*=lane), it would be strange
to place these nodes in the middle of the road... Any recommendations? I
tend to map them as independent objects if there is no cycleway line
passing the location of the leaning rail.

-- Alex