[Tagging] Cyclist Leaning Rails

Grzegorz Szymaszek gszymaszek at short.pl
Thu May 6 06:50:18 UTC 2021

On Wed 05 May 2021 22:46:21 CEST, Alex wrote:
> A few months ago, leaning rails for cyclists were mentioned on this
> list, for which there is no common tagging yet.

FWIW, there was another short discussion (in addition to the one you
refer to) and some tags were proposed:
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-January/058868.html>

> […] whether it makes sense to place these nodes on the (cycle)wayline or
> as an independent object. With separately mapped cycleways this is
> surely not a problem, but if there is only the street line (with e.g.
> cycleway*=lane), it would be strange to place these nodes in the middle
> of the road...

It would be nice to have a single approach for both methods. I think
having these nodes on the cycleways/highways could make them easier to
implement in routers. In case of cycleway*=* (lanes/tracks), the side of
the road on which the rail is set (or, perhaps, the lane/track
direction), should be described as well.