[Tagging] Tagging piste:difficulty for track piste:type=nordic; skitour

Georg georg2016 at nurfuerspam.de
Fri May 7 21:02:42 UTC 2021

Dear all,

am 2021-05-06 um 13:33 schrieb Paul Allen:

>>> What you could do is duplicate a way ... Ugly,
>>> and no doubt purists will object, but workable.
>> OK, I object then :)
> There's always one. :)

Two ;-)

The approach "dublicate whole way" will result in having the same way
many times, because the same difficulty like for piste also arises for
other means of transportation using the same way. Happened several times
in my region (we've many pistes etc). All of these way need to be
maintained idenditcal, e.g. width, access, surface,... so we multiply
the maintenance work. Because of this I was spending several hours where
minutes of editing would have been sufficient. Moreover, it makes life
hard for data consumers like routers - e.g. 2 months ago a way was
blocked by storm damage and it was practical impossible to mark all
"cloned ways" as "do not use", so the router kept routing me along the
blocked way.

>     I object because it makes thing harder to edit afterwards,
>
> Tell me about it.  If we map fenced areas correctly, there are two objects
> (whatever the area is and the fence) which are entirely coincident, and
> those are a pain to edit.

In JOSM, it's extremely easy: You just hold ALT key pressed and
repeatedly click a line and it will cycle through all ways using that
line - just do until the desired feature is selected. If iD does really
not have such a feature, you shall vote for / issue a feature request.

> Are there many pistes in your part of the world?  There are none in
> my country.  If they're rare enough in your country that one person
> can deal with them all,

Let me try to imagine this...ROTFL! That is absolutely not feasible
here, not for the whole country, not even for the nearer region: In
around  1 hour approach time radius, we have roughly 100 nordic pistes
of 2 km to 100 km length, maybe 50 downhill pistes, dozens of skitour
pistes, some sledge pistes etc. You may consider this winter wonderland,
I consider this to be fine for every day usage, but if we really want to
do winter sports, we spend our vacation in Switzerland, Austria, Finland
etc.

Regards,
Georg