[Tagging] Tagging full_service=* for amenity=fuel

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sat May 8 18:40:39 UTC 2021

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 8:44 AM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) We cannot turn around the default that amenity=fuel provides service.
> 2) I am not sure which services "full" service includes
> 3) we have self_service with values:
> yes, no, only, and conditional values. I guess that "only" implies
> no-service
>
> Conclusion: full_service=* is not helpful.
> What might be helpful is a way of tagging provided services.

+1

In my area, self service is the default and full service is normally a
premium service (often at a higher price).  However, it sounds like
self_service=* covers every possible case:

self_service=yes  -> both self and full service options are available
self_service=only -> you must pump your own gas
self_service=no -> you cannot pump your own gas

I note that this tag does not have much use in NJ (where it is always
illegal to pump your own gas) and Oregon (where it's illegal in most
places), but certainly it would be trivial to add such tagging via
mechanical edit if people felt it was important.

Given the 30K usage of self_service=*, and the clear meaning and intent
that it conveys, I would also be opposed to introducing a new tag.  In
fact, I would favor deprecating full_service=* as the overwhelmingly
less-used tagging.