[Tagging] product=brick or product=bricks

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue May 11 11:04:34 UTC 2021

On May 11, 2021, at 2:30 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the product discussion page Maro21 asked which is preferred product=brick or product=bricks?
> I think product=brick. Those more versed in English rules might have more to say?
> I note that taginfo has bricks as more popular by about 2:1.

The taginfo results are not surprising, as “bricks” is more common parlance for such a “mass noun” (like “sugar” or “sand”).  I do say “brick” for a single brick, and I use “brick” in a compound word like “brickwork” or “bricklayer.”  But if I’m going to the commercial stone yard to load up on 200 of something to finish my walkway or bbq, I’m buying “bricks,” not “brick.”  In the context of an OSM tag describing a “product,” the value “bricks” sounds much more natural to my ear; I am a native speaker of US English (California dialect).