[Tagging] Aircraft Traffic Control towers

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 12 19:31:48 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 12 May 2021, at 18:28, Jeroen Hoek <mail at jeroenhoek.nl> wrote:
>
> I've noticed this too. The use of service=* seems wrong here; perhaps
> this was introduced before tower:type became a thing?
>
> Based on existing tagging practices I would say that
> tower:type=aircraft_control is the right tag to use in addition to
> man_made=tower. Adding aeroway=tower to that mix seems harmless enough
> if you look at the three tags like this:
>
> aeroway=tower:
>  Fulfils the active role of aircraft control tower (function)
>
> man_made=tower:
>  It is a tower (physical characteristic)
>
> tower:type=aircraft_control:
>  This tower is an aircraft control tower (physical type)
>
> The latter two can always be applied as long as the tower is standing,
> but I would guess that aeroway=tower can only be applied to those in
> active use for that particular function.

+1, this interpretation makes sense and seems consistent with the general tagging system.

The tower:type tag is not super beautiful, one could also imagine having “tower” as a main key with the tower:type values and getting rid of man_made=tower and tower:type all together, but that’s not what most people do currently, and it would require database scheme updates for some users.

Cheers Martin