[Tagging] Chinese counties (was: Wiki: Chinese road names)

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat May 15 19:12:52 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 01:34 2021-05-15, Minh Nguyen đã viết:
> OSM-based renderers typically label place=* POIs prominently; if they
> label the centroids of administrative boundaries at all, those labels
> tend to be more subtle. Until 2019, openstreetmap-carto only labeled
> administrative boundary centroids at z16+. Nowadays it would label
> China's admin_level=6 county centroids at z13+ in much the way that
> provinces are labeled at lower zoom levels. I wonder if the Chinese
> mapping community would be open to revisiting their stance on place=*
> and population=* in light of these changes. As far as I know, renderers
> don't consider population=* at all in the treatment of boundary relations.

My mistake: openstreetmap-carto labels admin_level=6 at z10+. [1] I was
looking at the wrong stylesheet file. This change took place about a
year ago. [2] I realize it's unusual to be poring over implementation
details of a particular renderer on this tagging list, but hopefully
this change can incentivize the Chinese mapping community to choose a
more renderer-agnostic, globally consistent tagging scheme going forward.

[1]
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/a2077c0c8d40fb7f6d308b4ca4e8941d4c8b699a/style/placenames.mss#L484-L487
[2] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/4100

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us