[Tagging] Main key for telephone boxes?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun May 16 21:16:22 UTC 2021

On Sun, 16 May 2021 at 22:03, <Lukas-458 at web.de> wrote:

> And the telephone box was there tagged with building=telephone_box. A way
> to tag it, yes. When I want to come up with a proposal for tagging phone
> boxes as themselves, I'd prefer man_made rather than building, what do you
> think? A phone box is kind of prefabricated thing and not really a
> building, is it? <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging>

Technically, a building is built by builders.  Which means that,
technically,
a wall is a building.  But we normally (particularly in OSM) use building
to mean an enclosure with four walls and a roof (there are exceptions,
but if it has four walls and a roof then it's a building).

As for prefabrication, we class static caravans as buildings.

As for man_made, houses are man-made.  But we tend to use man_made
for things that aren't buildings.

I'd say a phone box is closer to being a building than being man_made.
But it's close.  I'd wait to see what the consensus is here before
committing to a firm choice in the proposal.

--
Paul