[Tagging] [How to tag a] Depot for sand, earth, and other bulk materials

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue May 18 18:50:21 UTC 2021

May 18, 2021, 17:19 by pelderson at gmail.com:

> Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> >:
>
>> May 18, 2021, 12:51 by >> pelderson at gmail.com>> :
>>
>>> Many municipalities have a terrain designated for storage of sand, earth, clay, cleaned or to-be-cleaned soil, and other bulk materials for building and landscaping projects. Not for a particular project, but for all municipal projects involving bulk materials going in and going out.
>>>
>>> How to tag?
>>>
>>> They are called depots, and I guess landuse=depot could include bulk materials. It's not a big step from containers.
>>>
>>> I am unsure about a suitable value for depot=*.
>>>
>>> In Dutch, its is called a "grond-depot", that is "ground depot". Would depot=ground be a reasonable tag? Seems too easy to be true...
>>>
>> landuse=depot is a big mistake
>>
>> Single tag for everything that can be called depot including tram depots, warehouses,
>> container depots, bus depots, aircraft boneyards, areas for storage of produced vehicles
>> and more - while adding one more landuse value.
>>

> I agree, for vehicles and empty containers. A railway depot is landuse=railway and then a building or man_made's on top of it.
>

>> I would tag such bulk material storage area as landuse=industrial + industrial=warehouse.
>>

> That is a stretch. I think the only tenant, the municipality, would not agree to be called industry running a warehouse.

I would say that place storing hundreds of tons of salt is an industrial area.
And, at least in Polish (not a native speaker of English!) such places are referred
to as "magazyn soli" == "salt warehouse"

http://www.dome-international.com/zdwkrakow2.htm
https://www.krakow.pl/aktualnosci/3092,31,komunikat,krakow_gotowy_na_walke_z_zima.html

images:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:10_000_tonn_salt_(3506785269).jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chloride#/media/File:Winter_road_salt.jpg

>> Or something completely new like man_made=bulk_storage
>>

> On the outline polygon?

yes (and yes, I generated that tag without checking is there existing one - just wanted to
remind that in case of no well fitting tag it is OK to invent a new one)