[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Big Bench

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed May 19 07:56:16 UTC 2021

On 18/5/21 7:54 pm, nathan case wrote:

> I think this is a good approach and is better than amenity.
>
> From the Wiki pages:
>
> Tourism: “Places and things of specific interest to tourists including
> places to see, places to stay, things and places providing information
> and support to tourists."
>
> Amenity: “For describing useful and important facilities for visitors
> and residents. Facilities include for example toilets, telephones,
> banks, pharmacies, prisons and schools."
>
> I don’t think a big bench is a useful or important facility, but may
> be a place of interest for tourists (e.g. for the views or for taking
> photos on).

If I am tired and looking for a place to sit and rest the last thing I
would want is a bench I have to climb to use.

> As for falling under the tourism=artwork tag, it could do. There is
> already artwork_type=bench which I guess this may be for highly
> decorated benches. Big furniture doesn’t really seem like art to me
> but is, of course, highly subjective.
>
> Also: could I suggest you modify the proposal to “big furniture” or
> something like that? I have seen giant chairs (rather than benches)
> and so including them in your scheme would be useful (i.e.
> giant_furniture=chair)

Good thought...

Giant rocking chair https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/43104

Arr another link below.

Australia also has big produce:

big banana https://bigbanana.com/

big orange https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Orange_(South_Australia)

big lobster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Lobster

These are all tourist attractions....

One feature = one OSM entry.

If there is a view point it should be a separate OSM node. Car parks,
cliff tops etc with views get a separate entry for the view point.