[Tagging] Swimming pool lanes

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Wed May 19 15:46:37 UTC 2021

On 19/05/2021 16:19, bkil wrote:
> If we started using it on areas as well, what would it mean if a
> roundabout (circular track) is tagged with lanes=2, are we dealing
> with 2 concentric circles, or is the area split horizontally (or
> vertically) to two? These are 3 separate configurations that needs to
> be differentiated (see roof:orientation=*). Having to infer based on
> the shape of the area is also a no-go.

If it's a normal 400m athletics track (leisure=track + sport=athletics),
it would be reasonable to interpret the lanes=* tag on the context of
World Athletics rules.

We don't really need to deal with the contingency of tagging things
which seem unlikely to exist, like vertically stacked 2 lane athletics
tracks.

> We would have the same issue with roundabout circular swimming pools,
> although I think concentric lanes appear on less of those - however
> such construction would still be plausible.

I've never seen a circular swimming pool with lanes. Do you have a link
to imagery of one?