[Tagging] Mapping area of pedestrian crossing

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Thu May 20 04:40:08 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 11:18 2021-05-19, Martin Koppenhoefer đã viết:
> Am Di., 18. Mai 2021 um 14:04 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org
> <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>>:
>
>     I really like
>     area:highway=footway footway=crossing
>     tagging, maybe I switch to this one.
>

> would you cut out the area:highway of the road, or is this on top?
> IMHO while the highway=footway, footway=crossing tagging makes sense for
> linear ways, it does less so for areas. IMHO these crossing areas are
> actually more roads than footways. Arguably they are both and
> overlapping could make some sense, but for using the data I imagine it
> would be easier to have one area:highway=crossing that is representing
> both, road and footway (or cycleway).

I'd probably have the areas overlap once I get around to mapping the
surrounding roadways as areas someday. Data consumers that work with
pavement areas would need to cope with some amount of overlap. After
all, amenity=parking areas generally include the space for parking
aisles (and thus area:highway=service service=parking_aisle), and we
wouldn't punch a hole in a leisure=schoolyard for a basketball court
that happens to be marked on it.

area:highway=crossing would be inconsistent with how linear crossing
ways are tagged highway=footway footway=crossing. Granted, crossing
nodes are tagged highway=crossing, but I think it would be more
important for these areas to be consistent with linear crossing ways
than crossing nodes, which are primarily a compatibility shim when both
forms are present.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us