[Tagging] Recycling of PET beverage bottles

Raphael dafadllyn at gmail.com
Sat May 22 21:05:39 UTC 2021

Hello,

another contributor recommended me to write to this list in order to make
more people aware of a new tag – recycling:PET_drink_bottles=* – that i've
started to use. [1]

In Switzerland, the only plastic packaging that most recycling points
accept are beverage bottles made of polyethylene terephtalate (PET/PETE).
However, supermarkets usually also have a separate recycling container for
bottles made of other plastics (polyethylene, polypropylene and others) as
well as PET bottles that are not beverage bottles (e.g. detergent bottles).

In my opinion, it is useful to know which recycling facilities only accept
PET beverage bottles and with facilities also accept other plastic bottles
(and which facilities accept PET in general or plastic in general). As
there was only a tag for PET in general (which not only includes PET
drinking bottles, but also non-beverage PET bottles, PET packaging as well
as other materials made of PET) – recycling:PET – and a tag for plastic
bottles in general – recycling:plastic_bottles – i asked on the wiki if a
new tag should be used for PET beverage bottles. [2] One contributor
answered me and recommended me to do so. I've then started to use the tag
recycling:PET_drink_bottles=*, which i documented on the wiki. [3]

All recycling:PET_drink_bottles=* that i added or changed were then changed
to recycling:plastic_botles=* by another contributor (the one that
recommended me to write to this list). He thinks that contributors are not
aware of the difference between plastic bottles and PET beverage bottles
and that all occurrences of recycling:plastic_botles=* need to be checked.

In my opionion, contributors that are interested in recording recycling
facilities are aware of these differences (as most people using these
facilities are, too). Besides, the name of the tags are clear and they are
clearly definied on the wiki.

[1]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/105076089
[2]:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Drecycling#PET_beverage_bottles_only