[Tagging] Access tags applying to higway=construction and ones that will apply to completed way

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed May 26 14:14:16 UTC 2021

On 5/26/2021 1:47 AM, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> I'm trying to imagine a scenario where the road is still under
> construction by bicycle/foot access is allowed? If it's via a
> sidepath, then map those as separate ways. If there is a bicycle lane
> open but the vehicle traffic part of the road is closed, then don't
> mark the road as under-construction instead set motor_vehicle=no

I've seen this in NYC. Construction projects can take years, and can
sometimes include blocking or replacing the sidewalk and routing foot
traffic along a narrow portion of the roadway pavement that's not being
excavated. IIRC I simply changed it to a footway and added a fixme. I
don't remember explicit signage for bicycles but depending on the
circumstances I might add bicycle=yes/permissive.

I could imagine adding a construction=residential or whatever, or maybe
just waiting until the construction is done and see what the new road
looks like. (Who knows -- they might be replacing residential with
pedestrian.)

Jason