[Tagging] Access tags applying to higway=construction and ones that will apply to completed way

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed May 26 15:33:47 UTC 2021

Typical cases include:

- (1) sidewalks mapped with tag on road itself - and just carriageway is closed

- (2) major reconstruction, there is a path across construction site to allow people
to access their homes - as side effect pedestrians can walk across entire construction
site

- (3) sometimes it is impossible to keep road driveable for cars but it is possible
to put planks/rubber mats/concrete plates/walkways to keep it passable for
pedestrians and sometimes also for cyclists

Mapping road under construction in the same way as road with just closed vehicle access
is problematic because

- it is tricky and unusual to handle it in this way
- for some edge cases (routing of emergency vehicles) it actually does matter
- it is much easier to detect road for resurvey ("is construction complete") with
highway=construction tagging

I expect that it would be much easier to convince people to use special tagging
in very rare cases of tagging future access (especially as I feel that tagging future access
with foot/bicycle and other access tags is a mistake anyway)

May 26, 2021, 07:47 by andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com: