[Tagging] How to tag small "seating rocks"?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Wed May 26 15:52:35 UTC 2021

On Tue, 25 May 2021 09:43:36 +0200
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is incompatible with the bench definition which says it must provide seating for more than one person.

I'd say the wiki page is incompatible with reality and use ;)
There are 200 occurrences of capacity=1 and amenity=bench in the
database atm.

There is little difference between benches for more than one person and
seating options for a single one in the context of street furniture
IMHO. For example, on the following product website the single-seating
option is just the shortest version of a bench and you are forwarded to
the same page if you click on "chairs and stools". [1]

Two real-world examples from Vienna:

https://www.gbstern.at/fileadmin/_processed_/d/d/csm_16_Koppstrasse_c_GB_ad9f91fdd5.jpg
(NB: there are some in the background too)

https://www.wienschauen.at/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Goldschlagstrasse-nach-Umgestaltung-Penzing-Sitzmoebel-12-2020.jpg

AFAIK there is no other viable mapping scheme for these either so to me
it is rather clear that such street furniture (including ones without a
backrest) intended to seat a person should be tagged as amenity=bench
with capacity=1. It works perfectly in existing applications and in
most cases they even work if you are looking for a place where multiple
people can rest too.
To be even more blunt: I see 0 reasons to not map them as amenity=bench.

1: https://www.miramondo.com/products/superfine/superfine.html?v=1_0_0_0