[Tagging] Clothes Line Dryer

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu May 27 11:16:06 UTC 2021

On 27/5/21 6:44 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 08:56, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     There is a small number of amenity=clothes_dryer with wiki
>     pages...
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dclothes_dryer
>
> It's not wrong.  The device is for drying clothes.  But it may be
> misleading.
>
>     To me a 'clothes dryer' is a mechanical machine that drys clothes
>     - see 'tumble dryer - wikipedia
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothes_dryer.
>

> To me, that is a tumble dryer. Which comes under the more generic heading
> of "clothes dryer."

OSM has a tag for it ...
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Ddryer

>     What is shown on OSM wiki to me is a 'clothes line' see
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothes_line.
>

> The example on that page is a clothes line (for drying clothes, so is
> a clothes
> dryer).  However, there is another picture at the top-right of the
> page which
> isn't a simple line but a frame.  I wouldn't call that a clothes
> line.  I suspect
> where they have been mapped, many of them will be frames rather than
> lines.

Any 'line' would have a frame to keep the line off the ground.

The Russian page has more:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RU:Tag:amenity%3Dclothes_dryer

The Russian page has more:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RU:Tag:amenity%3Dclothes_dryer

This includes clothes_dryer=umbrella which to an Australian is a Hills
Hoist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hills_Hoist

And yes they are still called clothes lines.

This includes clothes_dryer=umbrella which to an Australian is a Hills
Hoist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hills_Hoist

And yes they are still called clothes lines in Australia.

>     Should this be changed ... as that would better indicate what is
>     being tagged?
>

> These days, Indoor passive devices for drying clothes have a variety of
> names, usually "clothes airer" or "clothes air dryer." Back when I was
> a child there was only one style of indoor airerwhich somewhat resembled
> a saw horse so was called a clothes horse.  But there are many designs
> today which are more like umbrellas without the fabric, for which the
> term "clothes horse" is unsuitable.

These indoor racks/horses/* are temporary.

The only fixed indoor ones I know of are 'drying rooms' where clothes
are hung to dry (I have hung my tent in some to dry it). 'tumble dryers'
as above and what I'll call 'drying closets' where cloths are hung in a
closet like thing and warm air circulated in it to dry cloths.

The only one I have at home is a fold-able metal rack. I think I just
call it a clothes dryer.