[Tagging] schoolstraat / rue scolaire

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Thu May 27 17:39:45 UTC 2021

On 27-05-2021 19:21, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:09:23 +0200
> Jeroen Hoek <mail at jeroenhoek.nl> wrote:
>
>> Because the designation is specific to Belgium, and that it is unlikely
>> that a similar concept in other countries would match the same
>> description and legal implications
>
> Is that really the case though? What is so special about schoolstraats
> exactly?

The legal designation is specific to Belgium, not the concept, which is
indeed something that will likely exist in more countries.

The designation key documents specifically the legal classification of
an object. In this case, the Belgian schoolstraat/rue scolaire. If we
had a similarly named concept in the Netherlands it might be called a
schoolstraat too — though not rue scolaire ;) — but it would refer to
the Dutch legal concept. Similar, but not the same.

The unprefixed examples (like public_footpath) on the designation-page
in the wiki all refer specifically to English and Welsh legal concepts.

A generic tag like cyclestreet=yes is much broader in scope, because it
refers to the general, globally applicable concept of a street shared
with cars where cyclists are considered the primary users. That concept
might be implemented in several countries and have corresponding legal
implications; in which case one could add something like
designation=NL:fietsstraat. We don't though, because the cyclestreet
concept has no legal consequences in the Netherlands (it is purely
advisory).