[Tagging] How to tag an industrial breeding facility?

António Madeira antoniomadeira at gmx.com
Thu May 27 18:00:26 UTC 2021

The fact that this was already discussed, doesn't mean that what exists
serves the purpose of correctly tagging these structures. I also used
building=sty some times to tag industrial breeding facilities for hogs,
because there was nothing else available. That doesn't mean it's the
best practice and that's why we need a better scheme.

As Bert pointed out with his previous messages, a sty, a stable or a
cowshed are not adequate to tag buildings where intensive/industrial
breeding is done in order to produce meat or other animal parts.
I never heard that a stable is a place where animals are bred without
seeing the sky in huge numbers. They're usually used to keep, not to
breed and kill, horses.

Following Bert's messages, maybe something like
building=livestock_breeding + animal=* + produce=meat/eggs/feathers/fur
could be a good starting point. Stating in the wiki that these would
correspond to Animal Feed Operations or the more common (English wise)
factory farms.

Regards.