[Tagging] Clothes Line Dryer

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri May 28 08:26:56 UTC 2021

On 28/5/21 1:23 am, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Am Do., 27. Mai 2021 um 13:18 Uhr schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>     To me, that is a tumble dryer. Which comes under the more generic
>     heading
>>     of "clothes dryer."
>

>     OSM has a tag for it ...
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Ddryer
>

> this page is not about "having a tag", it is basically undiscussed
> tagging documentation for an unused tag ;-)
> IMHO not well chosen, far too generic if intended to mean a tumble
> dryer. There are many kind of drying machines, depending on what you
> want to dry and at which scale / speed. Let's deprecate this in favor
> of amenity=tumble_dryer or a more generic clothes_dryer with subtag.

I would prefer a system that groups them all together rather than having
amenity=tumble_dryer, amenity=airing_cupboard, amenity=t_line,
amenity=single_line .. etc etc... .

man_made=dryer

dryer=tumble_dryer/airing_cupboard/t_line/single_line/*

Some dryers have the capacity for more than cloths - e.g. sleeping bags.
Hence dryer rather than clothes_dryer.