[Tagging] schoolstraat / rue scolaire

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri May 28 09:00:48 UTC 2021

On 28/5/21 5:55 pm, joost schouppe wrote:
> Mateusz,
> Yes, conditional restrictions are the main way to tag this. But
> indeed, it's hard to do QA, especially since there are different
> styles to map this. Also, we've got the impression that people skip
> mapping this as they don't know about conditional restrictions. And
> also, there are a bunch of minor effects of the traffic sign that we
> don't even all agree on yet.
>
> Volker,
> Thanks for the Italian case! It is similar but different. It seems
> that the Italian version just offers a concept, where the exact rules
> in place are decided at the municipal level. I think the Belgian law
> tries to avoid exactly that - the concept surged, was locally
> implemented in different ways, and only then put into national law.

The NSW Australian case is 'school zones' that set speed limits during
certain times when schools are open.

See

https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/schools/flashinglights/index.html

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#School_zones

The South Australian case is more complex. A speed restriction of 25
km/h applies whenever a child (<18) or student (uniform) is present.

See
https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/166025/Way2Go_Factsheet_-_School_zones,_signs_and_restrictions.pdf

Other states may have different regulations.

Perhaps the tag "school_zone=yes" or "school_street=yes" could be used?
It would be a way for finding them and checking the conditional
restrictions - particularly if/when those restrictions change.