[Tagging] man_made=courtyard tag chronology

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Mon May 31 14:27:26 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I was looking at the man_made=courtyard tag as it is fairly well-used tag which does not have a Wiki page yet.

The chronology of this tag is rather interesting. It's usage tripled from ~5.5k instances to ~16k in just a few days during the middle of this month. https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=courtyard#chronology

I note that there is a proposal from March 2015 on this tag: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/courtyard

I'm just wondering what's the best way to investigate this sudden surge in usage? Can I find out who/where is responsible for it? Note: I'm not at all saying it's malicious, it would just be interesting to know what's driven this surge so that I can write a sensible Wiki entry for it.

Many thanks,

Nathan