[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - value 'basic_network' for keys 'network:type', 'lcn' and 'lwn'

Sebastian Gürtler sebastian.guertler at gmx.de
Mon Nov 15 19:44:18 UTC 2021

There are a lot of misunderstandigs related to the bicycle network which
is slowly evolving over the last decades. In 1998 the
"Forschungsgesellschaft für Straßen- und Verkehrswesen" (something like
"research company for street and traffic issues") has proposed a concept
for a bicycle guideposting system. It is based on nodes with guideposts
and route markers between these nodes that show only directions but no
further information. The aim is to create a network for both
recreational and working traffic.

The guideposting at the nodes includes a "Routenorientierte Wegweisung"
(route orientated guideposting) and "Zielorientierte Wegweisung"
(destination orientated guideposting). The destination orientated
guideposting is mandatory - means that every node=branch needs
guideposts with destinations. These basic routes between nodes can be
part of either named routes or routes between numbered nodes (creating a
"numbered node network"). They are marked by "Routeneinschübe" ("route
inserts") that are usually fixed at the lower rim of the destination
signs. They can be just the numbers of the node network or symbols of
the named route (and mustn't have informations concerning destinations).

Therefore there can be routes between nodes that are not part of any
other named route and others that are. The proposal suggests (concerning
the bicycle routes) to tag the unnamed routes of this network as
"basic_network".

This is also to discriminate these routes from other bicycles routes
that are not maintained by the state and exist additionally in Germany.

My personal preference would be to find a tagging that can help to find
the official routes as a whole, but this is still a bit difficult as the
development of the bicycle network is regionally different, and the
"Länder" (states of Germany) have there own laws concerning the bicycle
traffic.

I tried to collect information about it on my user page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Segubi/Elemente_NRW-Radwegenetz
but I started unfortunately in German and have no time to translate it.
A quite complex description of the guidelines for North Rhine-Westfalia
is found at the webpage of the state NRW
https://www.radverkehrsnetz.nrw.de/rvn_hbr.asp (HBR Hinweise zur
wegweisenden Beschilderung für den Radverkehr "Guidelines for the
signposting of the bicycle traffic".

Just for clearing up some of the questions I hope.

Greetings, Sebastian