[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - value 'basic_network' for keys 'network:type', 'lcn' and 'lwn'

Sebastian Gürtler sebastian.guertler at gmx.de
Mon Nov 15 20:35:54 UTC 2021

Am 15.11.21 um 21:15 schrieb Volker Schmidt:
> To me it looks that the basic cycling "network" consists of the
> roadways suitable for bicycles in a certain area. In many cases they
> carry direction signs at crossings.
> That looks to me similar to the situation roads for cars. Some roads
> are much more suitable only for cars, some are suitable for cars and
> bicycles, some are exluded for cars (those suitable for foot and
> cycling). For those roads we have no dedicated network.
> And I not see the need for a network in the bicycle case. After all we
> talk of a collection of roadways that share some properties.
> Am I missing something?

Yes, you misunderstood the concept. Maybe your mail crossed with my
explanations before. The network doesn't consist of a special type of
roads. They are route suggestions for cyclists from node to node. I
don't know anything comparable in the car traffic. The routes between
nodes can be quite complicated and use different types of ways -
sometimes even stairs. Besides the signposting with the standardized
route marker there are no other specific features of the ways themselves.

Sebastian