[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - value 'basic_network' for keys 'network:type', 'lcn' and 'lwn'

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Nov 17 13:04:52 UTC 2021

Peter Elderson wrote:
> My understanding is that for rendering, a tag on the way is easier
> and quicker than membership of a relation. Correct?
> [...]
> The purpose of routing then. [...] I know that it's a lot more
> complicated, but the point is, it's way-based, and tags on the
> ways are easier to process than membership of a relation.
> Correct?

Any cycling renderer or router needs to process relations as well as ways. I doubt there's a production-quality bike router that doesn't have relation support; certainly I've written hundreds of lines of Lua, C++ and Ruby code to support relations in cycle.travel.

It isn't more difficult per se. The one difficulty I do encounter with relations is that nested routes, e.g. regional routes within NCN routes within EuroVelo routes, are used very inconsistently. But that's equally true of tags on ways - inconsistent tagging is a perpetual challenge with OSM data.

Richard