[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - value 'basic_network' for keys 'network:type', 'lcn' and 'lwn'

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Nov 17 15:04:04 UTC 2021

Peter Elderson wrote:
> I am interested... can you tell me in laymen terms how the
> relations are used in rendering and routing?

Sure. For rendering, the main tasks are showing a route highlight (OpenCycleMap shows this as a solid semi-transparent line, cycle.travel shows it as a series of dots), and showing route 'shields' for refs and/or names. This can require some clever cartography where routes overlap, especially when using transparency.

For routing, many cycle routers will give a preference (=improved weighting) to a road/path that's part of a route relation. This is partly because the road/path has (presumably) been reviewed and found good for cycling, and also because users often want to follow a signposted route. If the router offers turn-by-turn directions, the route relation's ref and name might be incorporated in the directions.

There are more nuances than that, of course, but that's pretty much the meat of it.

Richard