[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - value 'basic_network' - cycle_network?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:09:44 UTC 2021

Hi Volker,

Sorry to hear you lost your fight with a car. Different weight classes, I
guess. I wish you fast and full recovery!

It's certainly true that most route relations are touristic. However, I try
to stick to the fact that these routes a pre-scribed (someone has chained
the ways, the user follows the chain of ways). This corresponds to the
notion of route relations. It doesn't really matter to OSM for what reason
these routes were assembled. The user does not need to route, (s)he just
follows it.

The other side was: routing. You set A and B and the router creates a route
(assembles the chain of ways) according to attributes of the ways.

Clear and simple, right? It's also true that in Italy this is still the
case. But, also in Italy, destination based guideposting is present, and
gaining ground, but in a different guise, resembling touristic routes. I
have seen a lot of routes called <place1>-<place2> on the guideposts, and
some reference code or route number. This in addition to the touristic
routes. I think these do exactly what is meant by JochenB, using
standardized guideposts.

Am I right?

Peter Elderson