[Tagging] Admin Boundary admin_centre or label roles

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue Oct 12 10:40:21 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 23:55 2021-09-30, tguen--- via Tagging đã viết:
> Forgot to mention - the issue you linked is a good example of the
> problem with having both a node and relation representing the same
> feature. The bug wouldn't exist if the app didn't ignore the label role
> on the boundaries. If it rendered the relations' name at the label node
> (which is the duplicate place=*), or skipped rendering the name
> of relations where the label node has duplicate tags, or if the place
> node were deleted entirely, then there wouldn't be 2 names visible.

By the way, I appreciate how openstreetmap-carto renders boundary
centroid labels in a different, less prominent manner than a place node
that may happen to be part of the relation. This reminds me of how print
maps in the U.S. take one of two approaches to labeling municipalities
that correspond to human settlements:

* Label the cultural or commercial center of a city very definitively
and simultaneously place small labels along the border as space allows

* Plaster a fainter, watermark-like label stretching across the
administrative area, without implying that the label is centered over
the city center

The latter approach also works well for any kind of administrative area
that isn't built up around a specific location. I'm glad the data model
can support both approaches, even if the naming of the "label" role has
proven misleading. Hopefully more renderers can consider these options,
which avoid the perception of duplication.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us