[Tagging] opening_hours and related tags: hours past 24:00

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sat Oct 16 07:09:16 UTC 2021

So apparently at least two different validators disagree on which is
valid syntax for opening times stretching beyond midnight:

opening_hours=Fr-Sa 06:00-01:00
opening_hours=Fr-Sa 06:00-25:00
opening_hours=Fr 06:00-24:00; Sa 00:00-01:00,06:00-24:00; Su 00:00-01:00

(pretend the third one is all on one line; Thunderbird is being weird
about line wrapping)

JOSM throws a warning for the first but not the second. Apparently
Osmose throws a warning for the second but not the first. The third is
unquestionably valid in any validator but (at least IMHO) needlessly
inefficient and clumsy, and something I'd rather avoid having to resort to.

The second has always made more sense to me and I get the impression
that it's actually the preferred syntax per the formal specification on
the wiki (search for "extended_hour"). Unfortunately none of the
examples use it outside of 24:00 (the midnight on which a day ends, i.e.
Fr 24:00 and Sa 00:00 would be the same time) so there are some who
don't think it's valid syntax. Are there any programs which use OSM data
which have issues with hour values above 24, either choking outright or
which interpret them in a buggy fashion? Should bugs be filed with JOSM
and/or Osmose about this?

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com