[Tagging] opening_hours and related tags: hours past 24:00

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Oct 17 11:15:30 UTC 2021

Oct 17, 2021, 10:51 by lonvia at denofr.de:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours/specification#extended_hour_minutes
> states that "Mo 20:00-02:00" is perfectly valid syntax. In fact, it even goes on to
> admit that it might be "easier to read".

I added also this variant to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours#Closing_after_midnight

> If I just look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours#Summary_syntax
> then your example is even wrong because there is just states:
>
>  HH: An absolute 2-digit hours number (in day, in 24 hour format, no am/pm)
>  in range 00-23, e.g. Fr 08:30-20:00.

It is a summary that is not covering many many many special cases.

It also starts from
"For more complicated cases, please refer to the text below this section,
to the full specification and to more explanations."

> The extended hour specification might be written down somewhere in our wiki but
> that doesn't mean that anybody is forced to use it.

Someone can try parsing or tagging while ignoring documented syntax, but
it is not a good idea.