[Tagging] Is it OK to use amenity=bicycle_rental for bicycle rental locations?

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 15:22:05 UTC 2021

I never even realized it was primarily meant for docks. The wiki describes
what people do, not some ideal world where tags make perfect sense. So I
would have described it in a more neutral way.
BTW, as a data user, we used the network=* tag to throw out the docks and
keep places specialized in renting out bicycles; that worked out pretty
well where we checked (though results may vary of course).

Op zo 24 okt. 2021 om 00:05 schreef Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> Am Sa., 23. Okt. 2021 um 19:13 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
> tagging at openstreetmap.org>:
>
>> Yeah, I know about this note - I added it.
>>
>> Though I ask here as I want to describe it as normal and fine use
>> and want to ask as it can be redefining voted on proposal
>> (as it seems that tag changed meaning from intended - and original
>> proposal is not really clear)
>>

> I am unsure. IMHO, an unmanned station for bicycle pick up / drop off is
> quite different from a shop with staff that offers bicycles for rents (and
> often organizes guided visits, etc.). The second in my opinion is clearly
> addressing tourists while the bicycle station is for both, locals and
> tourists, depending on the specifics of the system maybe also for locals
> only. On the other hand, functionally you can rent a bicycle in both
> places.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Joost Schouppe