[Tagging] When does highway=footway become highway=pedestrian?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 21:24:23 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 30 Oct 2021, at 12:11, nathan case <nathancase at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> So, it seems (at least to me) we should split the large pedestrian area into smaller areas. But if we do that, is this really a pedestrian area at all?

there is no size limit for pedestrian areas (highway=pedestrian and area=yes)

> I’m certainly leaning more towards area:highway=footway or area:highway=cycleway as being the better scheme (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:area:highway%3Dpedestrian)

We use area:highway for the surface of a linear/directed highway way. For area=yes (pedestrian)highway areas we do not need area:highway because it would cover the exact same area. The resulting map implications from these combinations seem the same?
There are currently 35k area:highway=footway and 195k h=p with area=yes https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/highway=pedestrian#combinations

why would we choose the weaker scheme if the meaning is the same?

Cheers Martin