[Tagging] internment camps, prisons, refugee sites etc.

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Oct 31 22:43:43 UTC 2021

I don’t want to get overtly political here, I’m USA-an, I say there is Guantanamo Bay (the US military installation) where more than mere whispers of atrocities occurred.  That said, that is different than the sort of internment camps like where (in my historical experience in place but not time, I’m too young) persons of Japanese ancestry (even American citizens) were “rounded up” during wartime and interred, whole families with children.  There are truly harsh prisons all over the world where inhumanities are perpetrated.  I haven’t ever liked the key man_made and sticking this wide concept into amenity isn’t correct at all.  There are historical such places in Central-Eastern Europe from World War II / the 1941-1945 conflicts.  This is complicated and partly historical.

Maybe we need a new key human_made and use internment_camp as an initial value.  Certain human_made “things” (toxic waste sites already exist and we tag for them, but there are some truly weird and sad and unusual human-caused physical calamity sites as well as human-caused human-ongoing-behavior sites on Earth.  This is a big, complex, untangle the spaghetti kind of topic, but we can untangle it.

This also feels like one of the more sensitive topics we might discuss, let’s be careful and respectful.  Human rights are paramount.  Where the sites being discussed can be found, “black ops” sites, we must keep distinctions between what we now know as prisons and what they actually are or may be:  places where human rights are being violated, yet “refugees must be housed en masse frequently on this planet” (and even more to consider).  There are so many topics at play here and we must be careful to wring out that we (as humans) toss together thousands of people at a time (even vastly) where it can be a free-for-all chaotic human rights crisis zone.  There are quite a number of these now, could I do a simple search for them?  That sort of visibility going forward can help us design a better/best set of tags.  First drafts are welcome.

We have our words.  We have good tagging mechanisms, we have smart people here who do such excellent proposals to keep all of this straight in a straightforward, respectful manner.  Let’s go broad enough to do that well (we can, we do) with a comprehensive design.