[Tagging] Tagging oil refineries

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Sep 7 15:25:00 UTC 2021

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 6:43 AM Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to tag all oil refineries in Croatia, and I found two refineries
> with the tag industrial=refinery. The wiki suggested that is wrong tagging,
> so I changed it to
> industrial=oil
> man_made=works
> product=petroleum
>
> Then I wanted to see the state of tags outside of Croatia, and found that
> industrial=refinery is the de facto standard tag for oil refineries. There
> are 436 industrial=refinery occurrences, nicely spread all over the world.
> There are 803 product=petroleum tags, around 15 of those used for
> refineries, and the rest imported in L.A., I'm not even sure for what.
> Little buildings like these:
>

> You might want to look at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Oil_and_Gas_Infrastructure
page. The WikiProject Oil and Gas Infrastructure looks like a comprehensive
guide for mapping oil and gas sites. It does suggest using
industrial=refinery in the section Refinery tags. Looking at the Talk page
there doesn't seem to be any discussions about conflicting tags.

> Anyway, do we promote industrial=refinery into an accepted tag and put it
> into this list:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:industrial
>
> or do we fight against it, like it says in the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dworks
>

> I do live near a refinery that someone tagged as industrial=refinery which
seems more specific than man_mad=oil as  man_made=oil is rather broad.

Best,
Clifford
--
@osm_washington