[Tagging] Tagging oil refineries

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 09:22:41 UTC 2021

Ok, I propose that I add industrial=refinery to the industrial=* page[1]

and I remove the {{PossibleSynonym|industrial|refinery}} part from the
man_made=works page[2]. It is a synonym, but it is designed to be used on
the same way, or on an encompassing area. This makes it seem like it should
be removed and replaced with man_made=works.

And there's another thing about refineries. Oil refineries can be petroleum
and edible oil refineries. On the product=oil page[3] it says:
" The tag product=oil is used to map factories that crush or bruise
oil-bearing seeds or other oil-rich vegetable material. As well as
petroleum oil wells."

So product=oil can be both edible and used for industry, lighting, or
whatever. How do we distinguish that? I even found one edible oil factory
in Italy[4], right besides a industrial oil refinery[5] with the exact same
tags, industry=refinery. I added the man_made=works + product=oil to the
Bunge factory, but then I saw that the wiki page says product=oil can be
both for edible and other oils. An edible oil factory is not an
industry=refinery, right? It doesn't refine oils, it creates oil from seeds
or vegetables.

I think we should add a new value for product=*, for example
product=edible_oil, and remove the mention of seeds or vegetables from the
product=oil article. We already have about 40 product=olive_oil and 15
product=palm_oil.

[1] - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:industrial
[2] -
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dworks#Possible_Tagging_Mistakes