[Tagging] Areas around doctors/dentists - or any other amenity

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Thu Sep 9 09:58:49 UTC 2021

Hi all,

A specific question but one that may actually be a much broader one.

How should I tag the area (e.g. grounds) surrounding a doctor's surgery or dentist? Both wiki pages explicitly state that amenity=doctors/dentist should be drawn around the perimeter of the building.

I have seen some mappers apply the amenity=* tag to the whole area of the amenity, i.e., encompassing both buildings and grounds. amenity=fuel is one that springs to mind that is explicitly tagged like this but I have also seen things like amenity=pub mapped this way also (i.e. the pub building, car park and beer garden are all enveloped inside one large amenity=pub area).

Do the grounds of a doctor's surgery/dentist count as part of the amenity? If so, does this apply to most (if not all) amenities? Or, if not, would a landuse=healthcare tag perhaps be useful?

Thanks.

Nathan