[Tagging] Question about waterway=pressurized

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:11:51 UTC 2021

Hi Kyle,

Le mar. 14 sept. 2021 à 03:24, Kyle Hensel <K.y.l.e at outlook.co.nz> a écrit :

>  Is there are reason why waterway=pressurized is used instead of
> waterway=river/stream/canal/drain and pressurized=yes?

Yes, waterways are defined according to their permanent flowing regime.
Some are free flowing, others are pipe flowing.
A given waterway can't be both as it requires a special prerequisites to
handle pressurised water.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways#Artificial_waterways:_pressurised_vs_Open-flow_Waterways

This table gives all values according to their regime
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway#Values

River, streams, canals and drains are defined as free flowing waterways, so
it wasn't consistent to propose pressurised=yes for them.
If a river goes punctually in a permanent pressurised culvert,
waterway=pressurised + tunnel=culvert sounds the most appropriate
possibility.
By the way, a river relation can obviously involve sections with different
regimes.

In a perfect world we would have cleared waterway=* from all other values
than flowing regime (move waterway=pier or waterway=fuel to man_made or
amenity).
Never mind, I go back sleeping :)

All the best

François