[Tagging] creameries

Anne-Karoline Distel annekadistel at web.de
Thu Sep 16 17:33:05 UTC 2021

Hello all,

I'm thinking of creating a tag for historic creameries. I don't know
anything about modern ones, they could possibly included, but the
situation in Ireland in the past was that farmers brought their milk to
the local ceamery, it was skimmed and the cream made into butter or
cheese and the farmers took the rest back home to feed to pigs or
something. I don't know all the technicalities, but those buildings were
purpose built, often still recognizable by their architecture, mostly
vacant now, but some are converted into cafés, warehouses or other
commercial uses apparently. Some were under attack during the Irish War
of Independence in 1922, which would be one reason to have them mapped
for the centenary next year and to maybe get some attention for OSM. It
would also be good to have a focus on rural Ireland (and other countries
where they existed), because I would imagine it is usually undermapped.

I've found only a few with "Creamery" in the name:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1bek, but that's probably we haven't gotten
terribly far with the buildings in Ireland and it's impossible to tell a
creamery apart from any other building from satellite view. The British
War Office map has them down as "creamery", though.

However, I'm not quite sure how to tackle it. Obviously, they are
buildings, but would it be building=industrial or building=creamery?
Where do we put in the historic tag? I'd say that local history groups
would even know the start_date and most certainly end_date, because that
made quite an impact in the local community, since they were centres of
the social life.

I just thought I'd put it out there, so I don't start a proposal and
have to stop and start again, because my way of classifying doesn't
match other people's way of thinking.

I'd favour building=industrial + historic=creamery plus start and
end_date whereever known, and of course the current use, if it isn't
vacant and/ or derelict. I'd like to avoid any building=yes or historic=yes.

For the ones currently in use, operator would be an important tag.

Cheers,

Anne