[Tagging] creameries

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Sep 18 06:42:04 UTC 2021

Sep 18, 2021, 00:53 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

> On 17/09/2021 20:44, Yves via Tagging wrote:
>
>> Building=church is not used because it's a place of worship, but because the building have a church architecture.
>>

> If I was to build a residential property in a style that I, or more importantly, you perceive as a church; & to then say it should be tagged as a church, even though it's *never* been one, is ridiculous.

Well, the entire scenario is ridiculous. But yes, I would tag it as a building=church

> The building:use tag inappropriately expects contributors to make guesses bases purely on a building's visual appearance.

If you are unable to verify it then do not tag it.

> What does a 'architecturally like a church' church look like? it's so varied.
>
> This is a church:
> https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/mud-hut-used-as-church-zambian-bush-170127141.jpg

I would tag it as building=hut.

Even the photo file name has "mud-hut-used-as-church" in it.

Having place of worship in some other building is not so rare.

(I was living next to building=apartments housing a church
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Church_of_Feast_of_the_Ascension_of_Jesus_Christ_(Old-Catholic_Church)_in_Cracow,_Poland.jpg
in at least part of it
)

> In OSM we map what's current. When a building stops being used as a church/school/whatever, the building tag get s amended appropriated;.

Both
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Christ_Church_Flats,_Kew_Road_-_geograph.org.uk_-_219419.jpg
and
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Church_of_Our_Lady_Assumed_into_Heaven,_5_Mariacki_square,_Old_Town,_Krak%C3%B3w,_Poland.jpg
are currently a building that architecturally is a church and therefore
should be tagged as building=church

It does not matter why they were constructed and how they are used, only structure of
building matters.