[Tagging] creameries

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 13:04:32 UTC 2021

On 21/09/2021 13:10, Dave F via Tagging wrote:
> >you are confusing "type" and "style". The building=church tag is not
> necessarily about what would _you_ perceive as a church, but about
> what the locals using it can perceive as a church.
>
> No. _I_ (& thousands of other contributors) assess churches & other
> buildings by the sign above the door. When the sign is removed because
> it _stops_ being a church, the building tag is changed.

A check of the UK and Ireland data* suggests "building as the typology
of the building, not the use":

gis=> SELECT distinct building FROM planet_osm_polygon WHERE (amenity =
'place_of_worship') AND (building != 'yes') AND (building != 'church')
AND (building != 'mosque') AND (building != 'cathedral') AND (building
!= 'chapel') AND (building != 'convent') AND (building != 'monastery')
AND (building != 'temple');

returns

         building
-------------------------
  abbey
  amenity
  apartments
  basilica
  bungalow
  cemetery_chapel
  church;community_centre
  church_hall
  church;yes
  cinema
  citadel
  civic
  college
  commercial
  courthouse
  detached
  dormitory
  fire_station
  friends meeting house
  gospel_hall
  gurdwara
  hall
  heritage
  house
  industrial
  kingdom_hall
  listed
  meeting_house
  meeting_room
  mill
  monastry
  mosque;yes
  no
  office
  oratory
  pagoda
  place_of_worship
  pub
  public
  religious
  residential
  retail
  roof
  ruins
  school
  semidetached_house
  service
  ship
  synagogue
  telephone exchange
  terrace
  tower
  university
  University_Chapel
  warehouse
  windmill
  yes;chapel
  yes;church
  yesm
  yes; tower

Now clearly there's some bobbins in there that needs tidying up, but the
usage of non-religious buildings for religious purposes seems reflected
in the database:

gis=> SELECT count(*) FROM planet_osm_polygon WHERE (amenity =
'place_of_worship') AND (building = 'house');
  count
-------
     40
(1 row)

gis=> SELECT count(*) FROM planet_osm_polygon WHERE (amenity =
'place_of_worship') AND (building = 'industrial');
  count
-------
     12
(1 row)

Obviously "church" here is just an easy building typology to search for,
and has no bearing on whether a creamery is a distinct enough building
typology (I'm not convinced of that, though I'm sure that they in some
sense are historic sites).

Interestingly, the "telephone exchange" does seem a real thing:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/952471124 .

Best Regards,

Andy

* using psql, since overpass struggles with these very common keys.