[Tagging] creameries

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Sep 21 16:28:42 UTC 2021

Sep 21, 2021, 14:10 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

> >you are confusing "type" and "style". The building=church tag is    not necessarily about what would _you_ perceive as a church, but    about what the locals using it can perceive as a church.
>
>  No. _I_ (& thousands of other contributors) assess churches    & other buildings by the sign above the door. When the sign is    removed because it _stops_ being a church, the building tag is    changed.

So if
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Church_of_Our_Lady_Assumed_into_Heaven,_5_Mariacki_square,_Old_Town,_Krak%C3%B3w,_Poland.jpg
would be converted to apartments/cinema/warehouse you would change
building=church to something else?

I am dubious about your claim that thousands others map in this way.

As far as I know current use is covered by amenity=place_of_worship

>  >No issue with the examples you have shown. Both seem to clearly    provide mostly a big space suitable for celebrating a religious    service, which is what churches are mostly built for. And both are    "iconic" or at least standing out from the other buildings in the    area.
>
>  Note, you're assessing them, by their visual style.

Yes: visual style/construction type/etc

>  Just because a building looks like how you guess a church should    appear, it doesn't actually mean it is, or was ever, a church.

yes, there are church buildings that no longer contain place of worship
(and likely some cases that never contained).

Likewise there are places of worship in warehouse buildings/residential buildings etc.

BTW, would you map warehouse containing christian place of worship as
building=church ("by the sign above the door")?

Would you map
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Church_of_Feast_of_the_Ascension_of_Jesus_Christ_(Old-Catholic_Church)_in_Cracow,_Poland.jpg
as building=church just because it has sign indicating that christian religious
services are performed inside?