[Tagging] creameries

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Sep 21 19:07:32 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-09-21 at 18:28 +0200, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

> Sep 21, 2021, 14:10 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:
> > > you are confusing "type" and "style". The building=church tag is
> > > not necessarily about what would _you_ perceive as a church, but
> > > about what the locals using it can perceive as a church.
> >
> >  No. _I_ (& thousands of other contributors) assess churches & other
> > buildings by the sign above the door. When the sign is removed
> > because it _stops_ being a church, the building tag is changed.
>
> So if
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Church_of_Our_Lady_Assumed_into_Heaven,_5_Mariacki_square,_Old_Town,_Krak%C3%B3w,_Poland.jpg
> would be converted to apartments/cinema/warehouse you would change
> building=church to something else?
>
> I am dubious about your claim that thousands others map in this way.
>
> As far as I know current use is covered by amenity=place_of_worship

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Former_church_of_St_John_the_Divine,_Leicester#/media/File:St_John's_Church,_Leicester.jpg
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/89705810

Is mapped as building=church, it is certainly not unusual in areas
where churches have become redundant.

It certainly looks like a church and would easliy be mistaken for one
other than the skylights in the roof.

This was converted to flats in the 80s I seem to remember.

Similarly https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/485430919 is a former
Maltings, now converted to flats but easily recognisable as a Maltings.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6969051

Creameries I do struggle with for the simple reason, and despite living
in an area with a long history of cheesemaking, I cannot picture a
building that I have heard called a creamerie hence what one would look
like.

Phil (trigpoint)