[Tagging] Homogenize diplomatic tags

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:55:52 UTC 2022

 > Deal?

No.

You appeared to have ignored the advice that you were given and gone
ahead and performed a mechanical edit anyway.

I only spotted it by accident when I noticed that the documented keys
that I was using**** which used to have data in them no longer did:

  * https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Adiplomatic%3Dambassadors_residence
  * https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Adiplomatic%3Dconsulate_general
    **
  * https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Adiplomatic%3Dhigh_commission
  * https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Adiplomatic%3Dhonorary_consulate

** One of these (and only one) -
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Adiplomatic%3Dconsulate_general
- has an entry at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/overflorian-mass-edits/consulate_general
.  I cannot see any discussion regarding this (2022) change.  You did
try this previously
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-February/059174.html
and were reverted
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-February/059178.html
because you did not discuss it then.  You then created
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/consulate_general
and received broad support for it
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-February/059682.html
, but then it went quiet.

However - nothing whatsoever about the others.  You didn't bother to
wait for a reply to the message below, you (and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/zorglubu , who actually created the
maproulette automated edit challenges***) just went ahead and did the
changes anyway.

*** See
https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/maproulette-request-for-comments-liking-and-flagging-challenges/5838/5
and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/117329397#map=19/5.57773/-0.16239

Quoting from my comment there "[challenges] 24298, 24297, 24296 and
24295 look like just trying to change one set of tags for another":

id    24298
name    "Replace the diplomatic=ambassadors_residence tag with
diplomatic=embassy + embassy=residence"

id    24297
name    "Replace diplomatic=delegation with diplomatic=embassy +
embassy=delegation"

id    24296
name    "Replace diplomatic=permanent_mission with diplomatic=embassy +
embassy=mission"

id    24295
name    "Replace diplomatic=high_commission with diplomatic=embassy +
embassy=high_commission"

Clearly "replace tag X with tag Y" IS a just mechanical edit.

**** Browse to
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/projects/someoneelse_style#tags and
sort by "count" ascending.  Note the documented tags (tick in the "wiki"
column" with zero usage now.

Now we have a mess - we have unused but documented tags like
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Adiplomatic%3Dambassadors_residence
and used but undocumented ones like
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:consulate%3Dhonorary_consulate
(to be fair, that tag change was done by a different mapper - see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4773735650/history - but in exactly
the same way, undiscussed mechanical edit by maproulette)

Normally I'd suggest just reverting your undiscussed mechanical edits
(like Frederik did before), but this far on from the change I'm not
convinced that would be the best approach.  Despite no other data
consumers other than me being registered as using those tags
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/embassy=mission#projects there
may well be others and a change back may cause as many problems as your
edits have caused me.  What it would make sense to do is for you to
document the mechanical edits that you have performed, and fill in any
gaps in documentation in the wiki. Please, if you feel tempted to do
this again, follow
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct .

Best Regards,

Andy