[Tagging] Possible merge of marine_rescue & lifeboat_station tags?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 06:14:11 UTC 2022

Some time ago, I raised a proposal for Marine Rescue stations:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Marine_rescue. After
a few weeks, I returned it to draft status, pending the resolution of the
Military Bases proposal which was also going through at that time, but
despite that, it’s now in use ~250 times!

One of the concerns that were raised at the time was the existence of two
other, similar tags: emergency=lifeboat_station
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aemergency%3Dlifeboat_station
& also amenity=lifeboat_station
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dlifeboat_station, both of
which were created by the same mapper on the same day, & neither of which
were apparently ever discussed?

These two tags have been used a similar number of times (400 – 450), but
when I’ve looked at a number of them at random, both tags have been used
together on a lot of locations e.g
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/260096274,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/894864797, &
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/444884651.

It would seem somewhat ridiculous to have three virtually identical tags
describing the same thing, as well as two tags on the same POI, so I am
suggesting that they all be consolidated into one tag, with the other two
being deprecated.

Before proceeding with that discussion though, is there any reason to tag
something as both an amenity= & also emergency=?

Thanks

Graeme