[Tagging] Deprecation proposal: man_made=drinking_fountain

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Oct 4 12:48:20 UTC 2022

I am not entirely how to solve various issues surrounding drinking water terminology
(help highly welcomed!) but it is now really clear to me that
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Ddrinking_fountain
is not helpful at all and it should be marked as deprecated

- many drinking fountains are eligible for man_made=water_tap
- it duplicates https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:fountain%3Dbubbler
- as stated this tag is equivalent to
  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:fountain%3Dbubbler
  but there are also water fountain which are not emitting
  upward jet of water in the air

So we have tag which for many (all?) features collides with better
established tag AND it is duplicated AND it is poorly named AND it is rarely used
AND it introduces confusion.

Can we mark it as deprecated and recommend not using it?
With replacement of man_made=water_tap where applicable - which is
likely for all cases or almost all cases.