[Taginfo-dev] Suggestions for the new website

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Feb 6 14:33:34 GMT 2012

Hi!

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 11:49:13AM +0100, Jocelyn Jaubert wrote:
> Following the release of the new website at taginfo.openstreetmap.org,
> a discussion took place on IRC at #talk-fr. The feedback is positive,
> but there might be some things worth changing.
>

>   - the colors are a little "sad" - maybe putting some of the previous
>     green color somewhere could improve things ?

I wouldn't call it "sad", it's just much "quieter" than the old design.
I spent days tweaking the new design together with my brother who is a
professional designer. When doing this, you have to take the whole page and the
whole site into account and make everything work together on many levels. Just
throwing in some color somewhere is proabably going to make it worse.  If
somebody wants to make a better design, by all means, try it out.

>   - the menu at the bottom is not really visible - I think it could be
>     put just below the search box.

The menu at the bottom is not supposed to be very visible. It contains all the
links you almost never need like "Download" and "Sources". I threw in "Keys"
and "Tags" to make it more complete, but they are not really needed, because
you can usually just click on the "KEYS" and "TAGS" section headers.

>   - on large screens, the "distribution of values" looks very isolated
>     - it could be put just right of the "Overview" table.

Yes. The "Overview" tab is quite ugly. I was planning to put some more
information in there before trying to arrange it better, but never got
around to it. Just pulling the diagram to the left is not really that
great either. The fundamental problem is that the text and table are
wider than tall and the diagram is taller than wide. I'll have to
experiment some more to see what works best.

>   - concerning the tooltips: it would be better if you didn't have to
>     point the text, and could instead point the whole cell in order to
>     show the tooltip.

Yes. Unfortunately that would need more digging around other people's
Javascript library code than I am willing to do at the moment. If somebody
figures out a way to do that in a reasonably clean way, that would be great.

Jochen