[Talk-africa] New paint style for JOSM to help visualize data and identify issues

Andrew Wiseman andrew_wiseman at apple.com
Thu Feb 13 22:08:13 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm happy to announce that we are releasing a new JOSM paint style with a number of data quality and tag checks. The paint style is designed for easier visualization of road networks, buildings and points of interest. It also highlights potential data problems and errors, such as missing or incorrect tags, geometry issues, and other related checks.

The style shows the same tags as the JOSM default style, so you can use it alone or with another paint style of your choosing.

More specifically, it helps with visualizing
Highways
Bridges & tunnels
Highway ref tags and route relations
Points of interest
Street names
Place names
Pedestrian ways and tags
Access tags
Buildings
Addresses
And it includes various settings and inline validation tools to better identify data errors and inconsistencies, such as issues with
Roundabouts
Buildings
One-way roads
Geometry and topology such as overlaps, connections, and other issues
Installation and usage instructions are posted here: https://github.com/osmlab/applepaintstyles <https://github.com/osmlab/applepaintstyles>

This paint style will also work with our earlier inline validation paint style that we presented at SOTM Africa in Kampala in 2017: https://github.com/osmlab/appledata/wiki/Inline-Validation-Paint-Style-Information <https://github.com/osmlab/appledata/wiki/Inline-Validation-Paint-Style-Information>

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Andrew

Andrew Wiseman |  Maps | iPhone: +1.202.270.4464 | andrew_wiseman at apple.com <mailto:andrew_wiseman at apple.com>