[Talk-africa] MapRoulette challenges to map unmapped towns, and new paint style for JOSM

Andrew Wiseman andrew_wiseman at apple.com
Tue Jun 9 20:45:17 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

This is Andrew from the Apple team. I recently posted a lot of new MapRoulette challenges for mapping unmapped towns in various countries throughout the continent.

It was created using data from Pascal Neis’s Unmapped Places site (https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/unmapped) which shows towns, villages and hamlets that don’t have residential or unclassified roads nearby. Here is what I’ve created so far, let me know if there are any other countries you’d be interested in and I can post them.

DR Congo:	https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/13529
Ethiopia:		https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/13526
Ghana:		https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/13527
Nigeria: 		https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/13528
South Africa: 	https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/12452
Tanzania:		https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/12458
Uganda:		https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/13611
West Africa:	https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/13524

There’s a full list of all the unmapped places challenges I've posted here: https://maproulette.org/browse/projects/39262

In MapRoulette you can either pick a random task to fix or click on a specific one. If you want to do tasks around a certain location, such as somewhere you are familiar with, you can click on one from the map view, and then click "Next task: Nearby" when you finish it.

In addition, we recently created a JOSM paint style that is aimed at making mapping easier and finding errors quickly. It has lots of built in checks for geometry and tagging problems for roads and other features. It’s an updated version of the paint style we shared at State of the Map Africa in 2017. Here is where you can download it and instructions: https://github.com/osmlab/applepaintstyles <https://github.com/osmlab/applepaintstyles>

I hope this is useful! Let me know if you have any feedback.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Wiseman |  Maps | iPhone: +1.202.270.4464 | andrew_wiseman at apple.com <mailto:andrew_wiseman at apple.com>